Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Searching the Word

With Timothy sleeping soundly that first day, I settled in on the couch, ready to search the Word for some answers. I've been reading through the Bible and my reading that day fell on Luke 10. Reluctantly I decided to start there. What I really wanted to do was search for some scriptures that dealt directly with the questions I was asking. Turns out that I probably couldn't have found a more relevant passage if I had tried. Here's an excerpt from my journal that day:

"My Bible reading today fell in Luke 10. And I particularly took note of 2 things. The first was in v.20 when the 72 disciples have returned after Jesus sent them out, rejoicing that the demons are subject to them in Jesus' name. In v.20, Jesus warns them that their focus is off. It's a good thing that the spirits are subject to them but their joy should lie in the fact that their names are written in heaven. Lord, please help me get my focus right and keep it there.

The second thing I noticed was towards the end of the chapter in the section about Martha and Mary. ... Verse 41 says, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.' Lord, I've been trying to do all these things that I think are necessary and good and I've neglected the one truly necessary thing - my relationship with You. I do truly want to change. Please help me."

No comments: